Friday, July 12, 2013

Portrait of Suburbia

 You know how the Impressionists painted everyday life as members of French bourgeois society and it all looks so romantic and beautiful? I asked myself today why paintings of our everyday life don't seem to sell. Especially figure paintings of modern life. Figure paintings may win awards but the bottom line is that selling a landscape is much easier than selling anything that shows modern people and how we live. If anyone has a clue to why only landscapes sell please write.
 I am happy to have received a commission from a realtor to paint portraits of the houses she has been selling. The realtor then gives these paintings to her customer as a thank you. I think it is a very wonderful thank you gift!
 This is my first in the commission series. I tried to make the house very recognizable but with some magic in the shaft of light crossing the front of the house and the slight fuzziness in the background.  I also some unexpected pops of color. If you look closely the orange color I toned the canvas with shows through in many places.

No comments:

Post a Comment